Pollution is one of the biggest killers that has affected over 100 million people across the world. Apart from this, it is one of the major causes of infection and affects eye health badly. Increasing pollution not only worsens the situation of visually impaired people but also impacts normal eyes badly. Therefore, it is imperative to take proper eye care and protect eyes from increasing pollutants.
Among all age groups, air pollution remains one of the biggest causes of eye ailments. The rise in pollution can lead to irritation and inflammation in the eyes. It is responsible for redness of the eyes, watery eyes, and other discomforts related to eyesight.
Pollutants consist of nitric oxide, sulphur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide can cause burning sensation and irritation. Along with this, increasing carbon monoxide and dioxide can also cause discomfort to the eyes.
As an NGO for visually impaired and blind people, we strive for protecting the health of the eyes amid increasing pollution. Though there is no alternate to clean surroundings and pollutant-free air for protecting our eyes, here we give some important parameters that can assist you to prevent any problems.
Key Aspects to Consider for Protecting Eyes against Pollution
The following factors will remain useful for protecting eyes and make a difference amid increasing pollution-
- Avoid rubbing eyes even if pollutants or particulates have entered
- Wash eyes thoroughly with water if you feel irritation or discomfort
- A cool compress can be applied to reduce inflammation
- While going out, it is advisable to wear sunglasses
- Avoid contact lenses and any sort of makeup if any discomfort occurs
- Limit exposure to pollutants and particulates
- Use lubricating eye drops to avoid dryness and irritation in the eyes
- A healthy diet consists of salads and vegetables is useful for improving eye health
- It is always beneficial to dring a lot of water
- Smoking- active and passive, both are dangerous for eyesight
- Avoid visiting areas where pollution levels are high and air quality is poor
- Avoid visiting industrial and nearby areas
- Good hygiene practices including regular hand washing and face cleaning can help
- Close the windows of the car during peak traffic hours to avoid smoke
- A high-quality air filter or air purifier system at home can assist you to get rid of air pollution
Our eyesight is one of the most important senses and 80% of what we perceive comes through it. By protecting eyes from pollution, you can reduce the possibility of vision loss and even blindness. Also, it is necessary to stay away from any degenerative eye diseases like cataracts and glaucoma.
eNetra Foundation is a renowned NGO in India for blind people. Our dedicated volunteers and donors put their effort to serve blind or visually impaired students, blind artisans, and people with degenerative eye diseases. Strengthen our hands to give independent life to blind and visually impaired people using assistive technology and human effort.
A well-balanced, nourishing diet is essential to keep our